Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Quincenera dilemma

Yesterday the lady that I share my office with gave me an invitation to her niece's Quincenera. For those of you who don't know what that is, in the Hispanic Community it's very popular to celebrate a girl's 15th birthday instead of the sweet 16 (and apparently there is also some church ceremony to go along with it.)

My dilemma is: do I go?

Reasons why not to go:
--it's not even the lady's daughter, it's her neice
--I've only been working with her for a week
--I have to work that morning and would like to do something fun that afternoon
--I'm not sure what's expected of me at a Quincenera (do I bring a gift?)

Reasons to go:
--it's the first work outing I've been invited to and I don't want to seem anti-social
--the lady I share my office with is very nice and I don't want to be mean
--a bunch of other people from the office are going
--it could be my only chance to see what this whole Quincenera thing is about

Please submit thoughts/suggestions

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would go. See if anyone else from work wants to go with you; that way, you go with someone you know, and you have an easy excuse to leave if that person needs/wants to leave.

Or... go by yourself. Show your support, "make an appearance", then leave if you're uninterested.

I guess, to make a long story short... Go!

Marcia said...

Totally go. It's like a wedding reception. It's a lot of fun!!

And some have gifts, and some don't. If there are gifts, bring $20 B&N gift card to the coworker the next day, and say, hey, that was fun, I didn't want this to get lost in the shuffle.

Kiki said...

I say go as well. It's a great chance to try something new. And, if you don't like it, you can leave early. At least you tried.