Friday, January 27, 2006

The Box

My friend Danielle's birthday is coming up. A few years ago for her birthday, I made the mistake of starting the tradition of what we refer to as "the box." Before I explain about "the box" I think I must explain about Danielle and I. Our entire friendship is pretty much based around how much we can annoy each other. Isn't that nice? I know its weird, but it works. And Christmas and birthdays are an especially creative time for us to get mean. To give you an idea, I hate Winnie the Pooh. I'm sure I'll explain this more in a future edition, but let's just say that I do. As part of my Christmas present this year, I got a Winnie the Pooh And Piglet Friends Ornament. I pull it out and on the top of it, it says "Navidad 2004".

Anyway, back to the box. A few years ago when I was in College I had a bunch of annoying stuff to give her (Notre Dame hockey socks, a spoon from the dining hall, etc.) sitting in a box in my dorm room ready to mail. Somehow people in the dorm started "contributing" to the box: an earring with no mate, a half used chapstick, a post-it, etc. Danielle was so confused by the box when she received it, that I decided to do it again the next year. Then Danielle started liking it, and now she'll be disappointed if she doesn't get one. Plus my mom knows all about the box and has starting buying little cheap stuff to go in it too. It's a lot of pressure to make a good box.

Just for example, here are some things Danielle has gotten in her box in the past:
A stuffed Giraffalo (it's a cross between a giraffe and a buffalo--actually, she got this two years in a row)
A Britney Spears Mini-Backpack
A Lance Bass Bobble Head Doll
The Book Will My Bunny Go To Heaven?
A "Jesus Is My Homeboy" School Supply Set
'N Sync fruit snacks
The book Hanson: Behind the Scenes
A pair of "Mrs. Pitt" earrings
My resume (she gets a new copy every year)

I buy all my stuff on clearance and probably spend more on shipping the stupid thing than actually on the stuff inside it. Anyway, I need some more little stuff for the box, so that's what I'm doing this weekend. A little bit of shopping, but mostly looking for crap I want to get rid of around the house.

1 comment:

Jen said...

That is such a cute idea. How creative!