Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Kids Say the Darndest Things

Today I was doing a program for the "school-age" children at a daycare center. They were running a little late from rollerskating that morning and were still eating lunch when we arrived. (Oh, the joys of being 6 and rollerskating your brains out and then feasting on tacos and canned pears.) We were sitting in one of the rooms just waiting for them to finish when one approx. 8 year old boy came up to me and said "I was a crack baby." I kinda started at him and nodded a little bit while I figured out what I could say and also thinking how our nation's youth was slowly deteriorating. I came up with nothing and looked over at the "teacher" (who looked about 14) for some help. She just shrugged...thanks, thanks for that. I looked back at the kid who then, seeing that I really had nothing to say, "No, really, I was." Lovely.

No comments: