Saturday, June 14, 2008

My Runway Debut

It was obvious that watching all of those America's Next Top Model episodes paid off because I totally rocked it and am expecting calls from talent scouts any minute. Though I have to admit the stage like runway threw me off a little at first as I was expecting more of the catwalk type set up, but I adjusted (as all good models must).

They had a local cosmetology school doing makeup and hair. My situation was a little difficult because my first outfit was a very country club-esque silk skirt and white button down and my second outfit were "I Love Girl Scout Cookie" pajamas. The make up was first, and when I told the girl I was doing pajamas she decided on a very "natural" look. Perfect. Everything was going swimmingly until she pulled out the lavender lipstick. She applied it and then turned to her colleague and asked "how does she look." From the look on the other girl's face, it was not pretty, but she very politely said "I think it draws too much attention to her lips" and my make up artist chose a more neutral tan color.

Then it was onto hair. Again I explained the outfits that I was wearing, but then also added "and my hair doesn't hold a curl unless its cemented in." The girl nodded and suggested pigtails. Um...no. Pigtails with the pajamas maybe but not with the skirt and shirt combo (on a side note, some girls in my office and I had decided to do "pigtail Friday" but then Friday came and we kinda forgot.) So instead she did a high ponytail and a massive wall of bangs (higher on one side than the other). I looked like a cross between Elaine Benes and an 80's music video. Because apparently pajamas must just scream, please puff up all my bangs! I know that's what I always look like when I go to bed. I spent about 15 minutes before the show trying to smash them down in the bathroom. I know there's photos floating around there and am just dreading the thought of them making an appearance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wait, you were in a fashion show? and ps - i LOVE ANTM! can't get enough. i watch the MTV re-runs on weekends.