Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Savannah Day 2: I Want To Be A Pirate

Before I get into my pirate dream realized, I have to give brief props to the BASS outlet shop in Hershey. My mom bought me new luggage for Christmas. Well somewhere between my trip to NYC, and Savannah, the rubber outer part of one of the wheels split open making it unable to roll. My mom took the suitcase to the Bass outlet store in Hershey, no receipt, nothing and walked out with a brand new suitcase. That, my friends, is customer service!

Ok, now onto Day 2. I have a feeling this post is going to have a lot of picture with it, but pictures are always good, right? First stop of the day, a tour of the River Street Sweets Candy Factory. Yeah CANDY! We ate lots of delicious samples of salt water taffy and pralines. Yum! You haven't really had taffy until you've had it directly off the taffy pull.

We had a little time to shop along River Street before lunch which led to my single greatest purchase of the trip...TAH DAH

A high heeled cake server!!! YEAH! What brilliant genius thought "you know what would makes shoes better...if we could serve cake with them." I don't know why, but I also really like that it has a detachable magnetic heel. I wish it came with other heels, so that you could change them depending on what type of mood you were in...but alas, I'm stuck with the zebra print one. Because every type of cake goes with zebra print. (I also blame this object for the reason I had a note after getting home from the trip in my suitcase saying that they found it necessary to open and inspect it.)

After lunch, we strolled down to the Ships of the Sea Museum. I have to admit that when I saw this on the schedule I thought "yawn" and had flashbacks to my AP English trip to the National Cathedral in high school. But I was happily wrong. We took part in a program called "Rogues and Rouge: Women Pirates." Don't even get me started on the name. We learned all about women that were pirates, and I decided that I want to be a pirate when I grow up. But there are several different types of pirates, I'm going to be like Rachel Wall. Unlike most girl pirates that dressed up like boys, Rachel was the damsel in distress pirate. She would stand on the deck and flag other ships down for help and then when the crew boarded, her crew would jump out and take all their booty and stuff. I would definitely be like her. Because I could be pretty and bad ass at the same time (like Angelina Jolie). We also got to make cool pirate jewelry. (A cake serving shoe and pirate jewelry all in one day!! Are you serious!)
We had dinner at the Pirate House restaurant. Where there was some he/she pirate (still unsure on that one) roaming around being all creepy while we were eating. Their website says "world famous"...really not that impressed. Then we went on a carriage tour of the city and learned all the useless knowledge of Savannah (it was originally a colony for debtors) and saw all the useless sites (the steeple that the feather in Forrest Gump floats around).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh this would have been my favorite day...because i love skulls and pirates!
ps - i love the shoe cake server!!!