Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I Disowned some Friends from My IPOD

Recently I've put a bunch of new songs on my computer and thought it was about time to cycle them onto my IPOD. Some of them were songs that I already knew I liked and some were ones that I just thought I would come to like, but felt I should give them a chance. That of course meant I had to make space for them on my IPOD. ::sigh::

Maybe I'm just too sentimental, but every time I delete songs from my IPOD I get the same feeling that I do when I cross someone out in my address book (not that I do that a lot because believe me I need all the friends I can get). I'll give you some examples of songs I deleted so that you can see what I mean.

1) Dixie Chicks "Goodbye Earl" -- This song is like a crazy Uncle Larry (not that I have an Uncle Larry or any crazy uncles). You really like him and he's fun to be around, but there's just something that's not right about him. I mean this song is about killing someone after all.

2) Lionel Ritchie "Ballerina Girl" -- For some reason this song really reminds me of being a little girl with my dad. I'm not really sure why. But this song is kinda like that friend from kindergarten that you still kinda stay in touch with, but now you're completely different and utterly incompatible people. Though its still hard to let go because she was totally like your best friend when you were five and you have great memories of playing Barbies together.

3) Tom Waits "The Piano Has Been Drinking" --This song is like that cousin that you have in prison (trust me, I speak from experience). While you find her really funny, and close friends find her amusing, you're a little embarrassed when random people find out about her.

4) REM "Everybody Hurts" --This is the friend that is always upset or depressed about something. You keep her around though because sometimes it's good to have someone around more pathetic than yourself. Sorry REM, I'm getting rid of negativity, so you have to go.

5) Baha Men "Who Let the Dogs Out" -- This is the friend that still likes to go out and party every night till 2am. Yes, that was fun about 5 years ago (or more), but I'm a grown up now with grown up things to do (like a job), so sorry, but you have to go.

Maybe I'm just more attached to my songs then most people. But it was a really emotional ordeal. I felt like I had to apologize to the song for deleting it, and had to keep repeating "I can always add it back later. I can always add it back later."

No comments: