Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snow

It snowed in Winston-Salem last night (and most of North Carolina for that matter). They're claiming we got 8 inches though looking outside I think it's 3 maybe 4. I told my dad this, and his response was "well, 3 is the new 8." It made me reflect on the various places I've lived and how they respond to snow.

Winston-Salem, NC: Like I said we got maybe 4 inches. The forecast was for anywhere between 3-11 and people were freaking out! Part of me is thinking that four inches is nothing, and I should go to the gym and grocery store and otherwise go about my life. However, I just spoke to my friend Huls who ventured out, and he said the roads are terrible. They must have like one plow. The other weird thing is that they are recommending people stay inside and people actually are. They showed a clip of the highway, and it was absolutely deserted. It's not even snowing anymore. But that's also partially why the roads are so bad. No one is driving on them in their four wheel drive to make at least ruts in the road that you can follow in. UGH! Four inches is keeping me inside and closing down the city. At least there's good basketball on. It was weird. I was going to go to the gym last night but it had started snowing, and I thought "well, I better stay in." What? Why? It's just a little snow.

Harrisburg, PA: In Harrisburg, people really still overreact to a forecast of snow. They go to the grocery store and stock up and school's announce closings the night before when there's not even a flake on the ground. Generally, once it starts snowing (if it even does), it's no big deal. You come home from work, it snows overnight. By the next morning when it's time to go to work again, the major roads are plowed, so as long as you can make it out of your neighborhood you're ok. The news people say to stay inside, but no one really listens to them. Schools sometimes close and government offices, but a lot of times there's just a delay. Unless of course there's three feet of snow or freezing rain.

South Bend, IN: Most of the snow doesn't really count because it's "lake effect." I'm not sure why lake effect doesn't count because it's still white and cold and you still have to shovel it, but if you say "we're supposed to get a lot of snow tonight" someone will respond "yeah, but it's just lake effect." WTF? Nothing ever closes unless they actually declare a "state of emergency" and actually close the roads. I specifically remember one time that we had gotten 15 inches of snow. They hadn't plowed the cul de sac where I lived, so I had to call the Hall of Fame to tell them I wasn't going to make it in until they plowed. My boss was all huffy because I wasn't coming. Look, my car will physically not go in that much snow...what do you want from me?

I'm also currently having a love/hate relationship with snow. The five year old in me loves snow (because I'm thinking that my friends will call me to go sledding and maybe school will get cancelled) and the 29 year old in me hates it (because I'm going to eventually have to clear off my car and possibly shovel...if i can figure out where I put my shovel.)

1 comment:

Eli said...

FYI: Harrisburg currently has WAY more snow than the Bend. LOL.

And lake effect only 'doesn't count' because it is impossible to predict... making this wither the world's BEST or WORST place to be a weather guy. The bad news is that you're never right. The good news is that nobody expects you to be!