Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Venezia 4: Aimless Wandering

Last full day in Italy. We had seen everything that we pretty much wanted to in Venice but had a few random things that my mom wanted to see along with some random shopping. First we went to the open market. I've always found markets interesting as there are lots of fascinating fruits, veggies and of course, seafood.

After that my mom wanted to look for a letterbox. It would be our first international find. Admittedly, international letterboxing kinda frightens me as letterboxing is inherently suspicious looking. I'm fearful of getting dragged into a foreign police station and interrogated about my suspicious behavior, but it was fine. Then we went to see where gondolas are made and refurbished. We couldn't get too close to the workshop (or the sweaty, shirtless, brawny, tanned Italian gondola makers), but the workshop was located on the side of Venice that we hadn't seen yet, so it was an interesting walk. On the way back to the hotel, we stopped for creme caramel gelato and also shopped. My mom was looking for a little house knick knack, and I wanted a glass vase. Both were found. We went back to the hotel and packed for our early flight the next day. College lacrosse was on TV...oh boy!

We had dinner just beside the Grand Canal. I felt a lot of pressure as this was to be my last meal in Italy, and so felt the need for it to be delicious. It was. Caprese salad, red wine, tagliatelle alfredo con prosciutto. After dinner I bought two of those flavored licorice things.

That one is cola flavored. I also had a blue one that was blue raspberry. My dad discovered that he loved them as well and ate half of them himself. Since returning to the U.S., I have tried to find these everywhere on the Internet and have not been able to. This goes against my previous motto that ANYTHING can be found on the Internet.

No comments: