Monday, March 05, 2007

The Story Behind the Green Fudge

When I was in college, my mom used to send my roommates and I a large care package for St. Patrick's day. It had all sorts of weird green/Irish inspired candy. Including green licorice, green jelly beans, green gummy bears, some sort of candy that looked like potatoes but tasted like cinnamon, and most importantly green peppermint fudge. The fudge was scary at first but my friends found out they loved it and every year would come to my room to find out if the fudge had arrived yet. My mom bought it from a local department store which stopped making it...booo...and I hadn't really thought about it in a while. Until January, when my lovely former college roommate Marcia left me the following voice mail on my cell phone.

Marcia: Am I crazy or did your mom used to send us weird green mint fudge? Matt thinks I'm nuts. Call me.

I was at work so didn't get to call back for a couple of hours. When I called her back I got the following response when Marcia picked up the phone (even before hello).

Marcia: I already made it and its awesome.

I had Marcia send me the recipe which turned out to be a recipe for espresso toffee fudge which she had morphed because she's a genius. I made the fudge this weekend and she was right it is awesome. It didn't turn out as green as I wanted. It seems to be fading as it sets. I sent Marcia the following e-mail.

"Hey, you totally rock. I made the mint fudge and it rocks."

Her response e-mail.

"Duh"

2 comments:

Marcia said...

YAY!

Next time, um, just add shitloads more of the green food coloring. But you already know that. I added, um, a lot of it. And mine was tres green. All of Matt's little brother's friends ate it up. After they got over their initial trepidation over the fact that it was GREEN.

Unknown said...

Umm... Marcia, mind sharing?

bkronk@alumni.nd.edu