Saturday, December 05, 2009

Thanksgiving Day

I woke up and watched the Macy's parade on TV which was nice. When I was little, we traveled a lot over Thanksgiving, and my dad NEVER let me watch the parades...boo on him. Instead we used to go to theme parks with all the non-American/non-English speaking tourists...good memories. But I have to say that parade coverage is not as good as it was when I was little. There's too much fluff (dancing, singing, interviews, etc.). I also remember there being one network that carried like four parades and would jump to different areas of the country to cover like the Chicago Parade and Disneyworld/land parade and one that was on boats or something. Whatever happened to that? Do we really need two networks covering the Macy's parade?

My uncle Bill cooked Thanksgiving dinner so we drove over to his place. My grandma always wants me to drive her car and looks at me weird when I say "no, that's ok, I prefer taking mine." She also gets annoyed that I take the highway. Food is always really good (we have both ham and turkey) though there are some things that when I "grow up" (yeah, like that'll happen) won't be a part of my traditional Thanksgiving. 1) Crudites (why won't blogger do an accent egu? That's croo-dee-tays...but without the egu ...aka that slanty line over the e...it looks like croo-dites) Anyway, there is no need for raw veggies on a Thanksgiving table. No one eats them. No one likes them. They're just filler. 2) Plain green beans...I want my green bean casserole damn it. 3) in bird and out of bird stuffing If you don't like the stuffing that was in the bird, then you're not eating stuffing. 4) Chicken nuggets. If you are a spoiled kid, you are not getting chicken nuggets. You are going to find something on the table and eat it just like everyone else. End of story.

No real drama. My trouble maker cousins are still in jail. Though my cousin Aubrey did storm away from the table during dinner because she felt that her mom was "judging her friends." Gotta love teenage angst.

After dinner my uncle made everyone go for a walk around the block. Adults were exempt from the mandatory walk, though everyone went except myself and my cousin Heidi. I figured this would be a good time to catch up on reading my marketing case for Monday's class. I was wrong though as Heidi talked my ear off the entire time. My parents called from Australia while everyone was out walking which was very lucky for them because there was no one else that insisted on talking to them.

Everyone came back from the walk and the kids took shifts doing the dishes. There seemed to be a lot of dropping of silverware going on though. My cousin Sierra did my hair (which is a lot less painful now that I have short hair...Not long enough for tying knots in or getting hairbands completely tangled.) She also gave me two "foot" massages. One foot massage was the traditional type with her actually massaging my feet (kinda nice), but the other one was her massaging my shoulders WITH her feet (not my favorite). Hmmm....I think that's about it. I went home and tried to go to bed fairly early so that I wasn't a complete walking zombie for Black Friday shopping.

Up next: what does happen at Target at 4am on Black Friday?

No comments: