Friday, April 06, 2007

My Other Job As a Marketing Consultant

My dad is in marketing. This is basically how I got involved in marketing. Whenever his marketing managers were completely sucking, he would bring home stuff and asked me what I think. I loved it and I love it more now. When I was in 4th grade, he worked for a lawn and garden company that was rolling out a line of tools for kids and I got to help pick the colors.

Yesterday, he e-mailed me a list of names and said his company wants to develop a line of carrying cases for drums to be marketed to 12-25 year olds and was looking for a name that was "young, tough, and edgy." After sadly realizing I was no longer included in this age category, I looked over the list his marketing manager had sent him and believe they are the most un-young, tough and edgy names I have ever seen. Sometimes I think marketing people get so wrapped up in their own bullshit that they don't realize how ridiculous they are being. Below are some of the worst names:

Harlow
Boli (This makes me think of stromboli which just makes me hungry)
Tusk (I think of a walrus)
Eiffel (Cause the eiffel tower is really edgy and is like "hey, leaning tower of pisa, I'm going to come kick your ass")
Gill (perhaps the most un young, tough and edgy word in the English language)
Rockwell
Palais

Hello? Can we get a clue?

1 comment:

IrishPhox said...

I think Tusk is a reference to the Fleetwood Mac song of the same name...which is a really awesome song and features great Mick Fleetwood drum playing.