Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Letterboxing

I'm on vacation, but nothing really exciting/funny has happened so I've decided to tell you about one of my newest hobbies. Its called letterboxing. For those of you who have never heard of such a thing, I'll tell you about it, but also check out this link. It's kind of like a scavenger/treasure hunt. (Yes, I'm a dork). No there are no prizes...I realize for some of you this makes it lame. So here's my brief explanation of what basic letterboxing is. Someone hides a letterbox and puts the clue online. (There's a couple of different sites where you can find them). Some clues are hard and involve puzzles: others are really straight forward. In each letterbox is a stamp (sometimes handmade sometimes store bought) and a log book. Each person hunting for letterboxes also has a stamp and a log book. When you find a hidden box, you stamp into their log book and stamp their stamp in yours. That's basically it. It's just a hobby and it gets you out doors and take you all different places.

I first learned about letterboxing at a conference thing for work. Since then I've told my mom about it and she's gone totally letterboxing nuts. I have 45 finds. Now everywhere we go my mom brings letterboxing stuff with her. Back at Thanksgiving, she sprained both her ankles and has a hard time getting around...my dad calls her Shuffles, which if you knew my dad really wouldn't be as mean as it sounds. This didn't stop my mom from letterboxing with me like crazy women yesterday. She was under bushes and all over the place and was telling me to "climb that tree" or "go over that fence".

Anyway, that's my brief post on letterboxing. I thought some of you might be interested. It's funny to see where the boxes are. They're anywhere from in retail stores and amusement parks to at the end of a 5 mile hike. If you want anymore info, let me know.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

That is so crazy! I can see your mom wandering around with two sprained ankles and looking for letter boxes!

I love your longer more detailed posts.

Anonymous said...

i think my first question was "so what do you get as a prize?"